Monday, February 25, 2013

Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes and Better Than Fries Baked Potatoes

For the past few days Ive been craving beef- but I wasn't sure what I wanted. I was browsing through the recipe file for my weeks menus and this seemed like just the perfect fit.  Its beefy, filling and delicious without taking too much time or effort. It was originally a Rachael Ray recipe- and I love that it takes less than 20 minutes to make almost as much as I love the way it tastes.
 
 
I pared them with a quick baked potato idea that I saw on Pinterest.
 
Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes- adapted from Rachael Ray
 
Ingredients:
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 pound extra-lean ground sirloin
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup steak sauce
1 cup beef stock
2 cloves of garlic, grated
Montreal Steak Seasoning

Provolone cheese, shredded
 
 
In large skillet over medium-high heat brown the ground meat in about a tablespoon or two of olive oil, about 5-6 minutes. While its still pink season liberally with Montreal Steak Seasoning. Add the onion and garlic and cook for another 5 minutes, until the onion is tender.
 
 
 Stir in the steak sauce and beef stock, bring up to a bubble and cook for about 2 minutes to let the sauce reduce to a nice thick bubbly mix.
 
 
Spilt open your rolls and pop into the oven to toast. After a minute top the top half with the shredded provolone and let it melt.
 
 
Top the bottom half with the meat mixture and smush together and enjoy!
 
I served mine with a new recipe for a better than fries baked potato that Ive seen on Pinterest.  Super easy to make.
 
Scrub your potatoes and slice them super thin, almost the whole way through.
 
I found they cook better if every so often you take out a small chunk, so that the layers can open up like an accordion.
 
Season each individual slice with salt, pepper, a drizzle of olive oil and some butter and pop it into the oven at 425 for 40-50 minutes. The salt helps draw the moisture out and they get nice and crispy.
 
 
I feel like these would also be delish with some herbs smashed down in there too.
 
Enjoy!
 

3 comments:

  1. I saw the potatoes on Pinterest too. Glad to hear they turned out 'delish' and thanks for the tips on how to cook them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I would have found this earlier! I just made the potatoes and they did not work! But taking out a chunk here and there would have probably been the key! Will have to re-try!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for taking the time to stop by! I LOVE your comments, so please keep them coming! I promise I do read each and every one :)