Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Three Books Worth Reading

I used to read books constantly, usually around one book per week. I love reading and getting into the characters. Since having the Grayson Boy, I still read books but they tend to be more of the  Goodnight, Moon variety.
 
This summer I really tried to be better and I did manage to read a few books, so I wanted to share some of them with you lovelies.
 
Bossypants by Tina Fey
 
 
 
Alright, I know I'm like the last person on Earth to read this book. But it is HALARIOUS. You know you are a true comedic genius when you can take a prayer for your child and make people physically laugh out loud. In a world where there is so much crap, every once in awhile we need a good book to just make us laugh. If you haven't yet read it, read it. Trust me.
 
 
I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella
 
 
If you love Confessions of a Shopaholic, then you already love this book. Sophie Kinsella writes with the same quick wit and a whole different cast of characters that will suck you right in. The basic rundown is that Poppy Wyatt has never felt luckier, she's got a gorgeous fiancĂ©e and an amazing ring to go along with it. Until one afternoon where she loses her engagement ring and her phone gets stolen.  While trying to figure out what to do she stumbles upon a phone tossed in a garbage can and picks it up, after all, finders keepers. Well the phone's owner, businessman Sam Roxton doesn't agree and isn't very thrilled that Poppy is reading his messages and meddling in his personal life.  As Poppy and Sam's worlds both independently spiral out of control, what ensues is a hilarious and unpredictable turn of events as the two become deeper entwined in each others lives via email and text messages. It has laugh out loud moments and Kinsella makes you really feel for the characters in the book. Its a very quick read and it leaves you wanting more, which is always the sign of a great book in my opinion.
 
 
 
 
Just like Tina Fey, Kaling makes the most mundane issues and things laugh out loud funny. I seriously read this book on the beach and got strange looks as I was cracking up as people walked by (although two people did stop to ask what I was reading).  She shares with her readers themes that we can all get behind like our mutual hatred of dieting, the crazy world of dating and the relationship she has with her parents. If you like the Mindy Project, you'll love this book. If you just need a good laugh, you'll love this book. Trust me, just read it.
 
 
Now I did manage to read more books this summer- but I didn't really feel that they were worth telling you about. But I will shamelessly admit that all book reading was done while we were at the beach, because my son was grandparent-napped and I didn't have to parent. I just had to get up from my chair when I wanted to go play in the sand. Can I tell you again how much I adore family vacations?
 
What are some books that you think I simply must read?
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for taking the time to stop by! I LOVE your comments, so please keep them coming! I promise I do read each and every one :)