Thursday, August 8, 2013

Toddler Mood Swings- Wowza.

Its amazing. You have this tiny, perfect little human who you love and adore and think is just the sweetest, best baby ever.  Then they approach age two and it all goes to hell in a hand basket. All of a sudden they explode with personality and attitude and opinions and some days it's enough to make this Mama meet Daddy on the sidewalk and practically throw Grayson into his arms.
 
Case in point. Today Gray woke up all smiles and snuggles. We went downstairs for breakfast and I asked what he wanted to eat.  I pulled every box of cereal down and when he finally chose the one he wanted I put it in a cup.  Well apparently that is where I went wrong. I received a resounding "NOOOOOOOOOO" and tears ensued like I had given him brussel sprouts rather than Corn Pops. Within nano seconds I had a puddle on the floor where my toddler once stood.  As I was trying to scoop him up to determine the problem his arms started flailing and he clocked me cold on the side of the head.  Welp, that got him a swift dump into time out. Cue an even BIGGER tantrum. Crocodile tears, ringing his eyes, crossing his arms....it was like he was being beaten rather than standing in time out for 1.5 minutes.  When it was over, I asked if he was ready to say sorry and come out- and just like that, my sweet baby was back. He gave hugs, and asked for his cereal. Then he sat at the table and munched like nothing happened.
 
Its like he has a crazy switch and throws it just for fun. Some days literally everything is met with a NOOO and tears, while others he's the most agreeable little thing- it can drive a Momma crazy. 
 
But you know what, its ALL toddlers. They're all insane together!!
 
I realized this just a few days ago after a disastrous trip to target where I was pretty sure they wouldn't allow me back because my kid was crying so loud in the store. (Why? Because he fell asleep in the car on the way there and I had the nerve to wake him and attempt to get him to sit in the cart while I tried to purchase a wire shelf unit for the basement. He wanted held and when I set him down to lift the 50 pound box, he lost it. Needless to say, we did not purchase the shelf. Rather, I ran out of that store after people started coming from other aisles to see if I was beating my child.) I was browsing FB when I saw a post from a Mommy in my playgroup of her sweet little Bean, having an epic temper tantrum.  She had commented how she was in time out for the second time that day for throwing a toy and was kicking and screaming the whole time.  Other Moms from our playgroup were chiming in with their stories of toddler psycho-ness and I realized, they're all going crazy together. 
 
All the kiddos are around the same age (born roughly end of September to the beginning of November 2011) and all seem to be hitting the terrible two's at the same early stage. It made me wonder that if at a recent trip to the park if they didn't all meet behind the monkey bars and plan out exactly how to get their Mommies admitted to an institution together. Because seriously, they could not have planned it better if they tried.
 
I think the only comfort that we have is the fact that when one of us feels like our kid has hit the crazy nail square on the head, there are at least four others chiming in with their horror stories. While to some it doesn't seem like it would be a help to know that another toddler embarrasses their parent in a public setting or hits and bites and punches when they are told "No you cant hit the dog with the shovel", it really does. 
 
It makes you feel better.
It makes you realize that you're not a terrible parent, doing something wrong or losing your mind. Its nice to know you're not alone, and there is someone there to listen and commiserate with. In a world where most people tend to give you "the eye" when your child is acting up or out in public, like you can't raise your child properly, its so amazing to have someone tell you that its okay. That they have been there, too. It makes you feel normal. And a little dose of normal amongst toddler psycho is a pretty great feeling.
 
 
 
Anyone else have crazy temper tantrum stories? I'd love to hear them!
 
 
 


1 comment:

  1. I am so glad I am not the only mommy who feels this way. I wish I had a time out corner. I think I would spend all my time there. We officially have a 2 year old on Sunday .

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for taking the time to stop by! I LOVE your comments, so please keep them coming! I promise I do read each and every one :)