Monday, January 30, 2012

Making Homeade Baby Food- Move Over, Martha.

At Grayson Boy's 4 month check up we got the go ahead to start on some solid foods, and since he's already been on rice cereal off of a spoon since 6 weeks, we decided to start with some sweet potatoes. 

I've done a lot of reading, and I really wanted to try and make my own baby food using all organic veggies.  I figured, how hard can it be? I cant over cook anything, because its going to be pureed to mush so I mustered up the courage and gave it a whirl. 

Sunday I decided to whip up a few batches- sweet potatoes, butternut squash, carrots and green beans.  It really was pretty darn easy.  I put the oven on 400 and washed and scrubbed the potatoes, gave them a poke and wrapped them in foil.  The Squash got hacked in half, put in a pan with an inch of water and both went in the oven for about an hour.



Don't judge, this was the smallest squash the store had- it was ginormous.

The green beans and carrots got steamed on the stove top until soft.


Once something was soft, into the super fancy schmancy food processor we got as a wedding gift and still haven't used it went.


Add a little water or formula to thin the veggies out to give a nice smooth puree and pop them into an ice cube tray and freeze up.  The ice cube tray is the right size for a single serving, and you can reuse it time and again.  After they were frozen I popped them into a Ziploc baggie and stored them in the freezer.


All together I probably spent 2 or 2.5 hours in the kitchen making enough baby food to last us a good long time. That one squash made 48 servings alone.
 Now for the real test-

Super excited for some sweet potatoes!


First bite in...

Ma, this is not my rice cereal. This tastes kind of healthy. What are you trying to do to me?


I guess its not too bad...it tastes better than the formula I suppose.


Here Daddy, let me help you shovel this into my mouth- because Ive decided I like it!


Good job, Mommy. Martha should be shaking in her boots!

(love this kid.)

4 comments:

  1. Bethany, I also made home made baby food. Loved knowing what I was putting in my son was healthy food. I think that is why he is such a good eater now that he is 3. I used Mommy Made, and Daddy too! Home Cooking For A Healthy Baby & Toddler by Martha and David Kimmel.

    Has recipes for all kinds of purees and even a fruit leather. Also has a wonderful recipe for meatloaf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog! I am a nanny for 2 of my nephews, 2 1/2 yrs and 8 months. I have been making baby/toddler food for 2 years now, and I love it! It really makes me feel accomplished, ya know? I've been using Fresh Start Cworkbook, by Joan Ahlers and Cheryl Tallman. I love it. It has a journal for you to write their first meals, every recipe has a notes area to write what they liked and didn't and when they started it. Its great!

    Thumbs up to my dear! Its so refreshing to hear that there are people who want to take the time to make their children's food. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What an eye opener this post has been for me. Very much appreciated, bookmarked, I can’t wait for more! cheap nutramigen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Should there be another persuasive post you can share next time, I’ll be surely waiting for it. Good Start Formulas

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for taking the time to stop by! I LOVE your comments, so please keep them coming! I promise I do read each and every one :)